[M3devel] new Linux/x86 archives

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 1 16:25:13 CEST 2009

new Linux/x86 archives, the ones are version 5.7.1:

 http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives
 =>
  http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.1.tar.gz
  http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.1.tar.lzma
  http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-std-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.1.tar.gz
  http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-std-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.1.tar.lzma

 The last one is still compressing/uploading (lzma compresses very slow, but compresses smallest and uncompressed fast or fastest.)

notes:
 Mika's problem is fixed.
  (Jan 12:
   http://dcvs.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install/cm3cfg.common)
 Be sure to
   export PATH=installroot/bin:$PATH
   and
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=installroot/lib
     or
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=installroot/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 Don't have Modula-3 .so files in /tmp/tmpdtNszn/...
  (objdump -x installroot/bin/mentor | grep PATH to see what I mean)

A near future build should:
  not require setting either environment variable, nor look in /tmp.
  setting $PATH will be optional for convenience to find cm3,
  but cm3 won't use it to find cm3cg.
  Shared libs will be found via rpath=$ORIGIN/../lib.
    (Consensus that that is a good idea? Seems clear to me. $LD_LIBRARY_PATH should still either override or provide fallback, for uninstalled binaries or binaries installed elsewhere.)