[M3devel] new cm3 release (was: Help finding CM3 compiler for Linux?)

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Thu Apr 2 01:05:16 CEST 2009

I agree about needing a new release.

I suppose there is some value in maintaining a MINimal size binary distribution, but I think it would also nice to also provide a FULL distribution with everything pre-built.  (Of course, this will eat up more space on elego machines.)

I have ready access to Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit) and Vista platforms.  I would be glad to build and supply the distros for these platforms.

Suggest we agree upon a plan and a timeframe.
a.  make a tag or something in CVS that marks what will comprise the official sources for the release
b.  agree upon distribution format (platform naming conventions, compressed archive format for MIN and FULL variants)
c.  get a list of who is going to supply distros for which platforms
d.  establish procedure for how the distros will be uploaded to elego
e.  set a date for contributors to have the distros uploaded
f.  have someone put together the web page showing links to all the distros along with updated installation instructions

One sticky issue in the past has been target location.  If we unpack a distro and put it in a different place in the filesystem tree, we don't want it to break.  I know that cminstall attempted to adjust the cm3.cfg file to deal with location differences.  Do we need/want to build an installer program or script to deal with this issue, perhaps even adjusting cminstall will suffice?  Or, do we give a set of instructions on which file(s) to edit when moving the install location?

For Windows, I don't mind building an installer.  Perhaps the installer could let you choose whether to install the MIN or the FULL version.

Also, I think the Tinderbox has been great, but perhaps it can be improved.  I know I would like to see testing for Windows platforms added.  I have an XP computer I can pretty much dedicate to this task.  The problem is that I tried with Olaf's help to get it working, but there were too many dependencies on unix-type shell/script environment, and trying to force fit into cygwin didn't work well for the native Win32 implementation.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Randy

>>> Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu> 4/1/2009 6:25 PM >>>

Actually I think that the thing that has caused me the most problems
in the past is that the -min and the -src-all get out of sync, since
the binary bootstrapping dists are often not distributed (for size
reasons?) with full source archives from exactly the same date.  So
when you try to build src-all with the binary bootstrap, something
goes wrong.  It's the whole... ok I need a binary install (since
it's a real compiler), but now I have to bootstrap everything.  And
then the bootstrap turns out not to be 100% compatible with the
compiler sources, libraries, some little detail in m3tk, ...

Another way of saying this is "Isn't CM3 way overdue for a 'release'?"

    Mika

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This e-mail may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from making any use of the information in the email and attachments.  If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.  By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.