[M3devel] small objects

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 7 19:12:55 CEST 2009

Tony,

I think you have convinced me that what you say is workable.

However I share Hendrik's concern that using RT0.RefanyTypecode
might hurt some day in the future, even if I think you have shown
pretty convincingly that it doesn't hurt today.  How about my "second
proposal".  Do pretty much what you suggest but instead of returning
RT0.RefanyTypecode, return TYPECODE(TaggedInteger.T), where
TaggedInteger.T is an object type that is declared entirely privately
to the TaggedInteger unsafe module...  this also gives a completely
obvious implementation for pickling the tagged integers.  Simply
convert them to TaggedInteger.T and pickle that.  An implementation
that doesn't support tagged integers in pointers could also allocate
"real" TaggedInteger.Ts.... not sure that is useful though or if
it just confuses.  Actually I think it is useful, because it lets
you represent the values even if unpickling in a system that doesn't
support tagged integers in REFANYs.

I would go so far as saying this... I believe it is possible to
guarantee that any safe code outside of the TaggedInteger module
couldn't distinguish between a REFANY that holds a tagged integer
vs. one that holds a reference to a (heap-allocated) TaggedInteger.T.
How's that for not breaking the language definition?

Hendrik, I think Tony's and my arguments that you can't break any
existing code by allowing the squirreling away of integers into
REFANYs are pretty solid.  Pre-existing code simply can't do anything
useful with unrevealed REFANYs.  There are also good reasons for
permitting this oddness (vide Smalltalk and Scheme small integers).

     Mika