[M3devel] cvsup and "flags"

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Apr 13 12:56:40 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Um, these "flags" that cvsup is willing to traffic:
>
>   1) They are the same between machines that support them?
>    Maybe, maybe not, I can check.
>
>   2) They are actually interesting? Given that many operating
> systems (e.g. Linux, Solaris) don't support them?

Yes, they are interesting and important, since they are in use
at many sites. They're not portable as far as I know though.

The system immutable flag is used by many FreeBSD installations to
further protect from accidental and unauthorized changes.

> They seem a little dubious.
> I suppose most cvsup users have both client and server on FreeBSD
> and if the FreeBSD source itself needs these flags on source
> controled files, it is useful.
>
> Even storing an executable bit in cvs seems not portable..but that
> is a different set of flags. (NTFS ACL should be reasonable
> superset, but then, FAT?)

POSIX file access control lists should be portable to a certain degree.

Olaf