[M3devel] HEADS UP: Release engineering, was: Re: CM3 Release

Rodney M. Bates rodney.m.bates at cox.net
Mon Apr 13 23:24:06 CEST 2009

Any opinions about the TEXT branch?  Anybody tried it? To summarize:

- I have tested it extensively on LINUXLIBC6, with a large random
  test program and two successive rebuilds of CM3.

- It makes no changes in data structure, neither to static declarations
  nor to invariants.  Thus it creates no compatibility problems with
existing
  pickles, etc.

- It slows down concatenation, but more than makes it up in other
  string accessing operations, if the numbers of concatenations and
  accessing operations are equal.

- It cuts down on tree depth and even more or recursion depth
  (which implies needed stack space.)

- This effect is dramatic when strings are built by "linear" concatenations,
  i.e., strictly left-to-right, or vice versa.  Gains are moderate when
  concatenations are random.

- It allocates a lot more storage, but abandons a lot more garbage,
  retaining somewhat more space when lots of old strings are retained
  along with newly-built ones.  It probably retains less when operand
  strings of concatenations are not kept, but I haven't measured that.

- Strategies are partial rebalancing of concatenation trees, flattening
  of short concatenations, elimination of a lot of tail-recursion, and
  recursing on the shorter side.