[M3devel] help booting CM3 on FreeBSD 4.11?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 25 00:40:41 CEST 2009

> Would help if you had pthreads though.

IF you have a working-enough pthreads, no matter what library they are in, take a look at:

 http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-boot-FreeBSD4-1.tar.gz

It's a little gross -- one directory with LOTS of files.
And a few subdirectories you don't need.

Be sure to look at the start of the Makefile and possibly adjust it.
There are some *.sh files, redundant with the Makefile.

The output of this is just cm3.
You can use that to then build up the system from the bottom of the dependeny tree and on up -- m3cc, m3core, libm3, etc. do-cm3-core.sh/do-cm3-core.py should do that.
This is different than "upgrade", which uses an existing m3core/libm3.

This is how I do cross builds, both to existing systems and new systems.
It has worked several times for me. Most often from a Cygwin host but maybe not always, and it isn't Cygwin specific.

If you really don't have a working pthreads, well, I'd just have to rebuild this with one edit...maybe I can do that quickly (it'll be -2 if so..), maybe it'll work...maybe...