[M3devel] optimization [ was Re: Performance issues with CM3 ]

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 27 02:31:42 CEST 2009

Tony, it might not be as bad as all that.  Well, on one level it
is.  Things are certainly not perfect.

But I am able to operate with m3core built with -O (as well as with
-O3).  Lots of scary-looking compiler warnings, but things do work.
There are just a few programs that won't build.  I didn't try "all"
in the CM3 dist---only my own programs and m3core (since m3core has
the biggest performance impact).

With lots of tweaks and adjustments, I now see my code running about
100% slower under CM3 than the same code does under PM3 (on the
same machine).  This is including my typecase hacks, as described
earlier today.  I'm guessing most of it is the FreeBSD pthreads
implementation in libc_r + the calls to PushEFrame.

     Mika