[M3devel] HEADS UP: release engineering procedure clarification

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sun Aug 2 14:57:41 CEST 2009

Hi all,

it seems I may need to explain the current procedure adopted for
release engineering in order to avoid some confusion and chaos.

  (1) All release engineering occurs on the release_branch_cm3_5_8.
      The trunk is currently unaffected.
  (2) All RCs will be built from the release branch.
  (3) Fixes may be merged as necessary to the branch, but not
      arbitrary changes. Fixes comprise actual source fixes to make
      the CM3 code work on some platform as well as changes to the
      scripts to correct building or regression testing.
  (4) The tag release_CM3_5_8_RC2 defines the release candiate 2.
      I've made the last adaptions yesterday and started packaging
      the archives. make-dist.sh is currently supposed to just build
      this RC.
  (5) If we move the RC2 tag, we always need to rebuild a number of
      archives. We cannot do that indefinitely, as it takes a long
      time. If something is broken in RC2, it can be fixed in RC3.
      If we don't accept some bugs, we'll never make any release.
  (6) The Hudson regression and I think most of the tinderbox
      regression follows the release branch and not the trunk.

Please heed these rules and help by building packages, improving
the documentation and testing the available installation archives.

I'm going to setup some automated tests for installation archives
during the next days, but they will only cover some very basic
aspects.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Olaf