[M3devel] HEADS UP: cm3.cfg locations, was: Re: problems with cm3.cfg and MxConfig

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Aug 4 02:38:27 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:42:12PM +0000, Jay K wrote:

> > That is exactly the mad scientist whill want when he's tinkering with
> > deviant Modula 3 compilers. But it's not what the average user will
> > want. And it's not what the mad compiler tinkerer will want when he's
> > just compiling ordinary programs. So let an environment variable
> > override whatever else would be used to find the configuration file.
> > And leave it undefined for the average user.
>

> I have been a proponent of what you say.
> And I have tried to achieve it.
>

> However it is not clear if I got there.
>

> The system-wide library paths, one example,
> are what the "(mad) Linux tinkerer" might
> alter,  once and be done, not merely the
> "compiler tinkerer". There may be too many such people.

I was thinking of the mad scientist who writes his own variations into
Modula 3, and wants to use his version without it getting mixed up with
the standard one available on his system.  He'd want his own m3
configuration file for sure.

As for the OS's other paths, on Linux the OS provides those, and lets
them be overridden by the user as environment variables.  He'd just
better make sure they point to the ones he needs.  That's his job, not
ours.

I'm not advocating replacing the OS.  That's someone else's job, too.

oh... wait a moment.  Didn't we try something like that with SPIN (for
suitable values of "we" that don't include "me")?

-- hendrik