[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Aug 5 15:54:46 CEST 2009

I just found this mail... too many of them.

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> I failed to figure how to move anything at all to RC2 (perhaps that
> is by-design, Olaf escalating and using more and more arcane
> features of cvs to stay ahead of me), but I moved it to the release
> branch, which should get it at least into whatever if anything
> follows RC2.

This is no arcane feature, just the conventional way to pin a
bound configuration. We use the release branch to improve the release
quality, and certain points on it are marked with RC1, RC2, ...
The CVS concept for bound configurations is called a tag (non-branch tag).

RC2 is now in the past. We've already built most of the packages.
If there is something really important, we can move the tag again,
which means that we will probably have to rebuild a number of
installation packages.

If it's something that severely breaks the system, we may have
to do that. What do you say?

> The fix seems fragile though. Converting to a full path would
> probably be better.
> (Full paths are still contextual, but most people/code seem ok
> ignoring that. Could be net used or chroot..)

RC3 should be faster, as most of the needed infrastructure is now in
place. So it may be best to just know that the fix is in there.

Olaf