[M3devel] CM3 Release Engineering and Feedback

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Aug 13 12:47:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:10:38AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I can imagine that everybody is a bit tired of all the mails concerning
> the public release of CM3 5.8 and its problems, but nonetheless I
> don't want this to become a one or two man show, so I'll summarize
> the current status again.
>
>  o RC2 has been released and publicly announced on the m3announce list
>    and in comp.lang.modul3. There are several problems though with the
>    packages, so that we should provide another release candidate, hopefullly
>    at the end of this week.
>
>  o There hasn't been much feedback, neither from the list of active
>    developers nor from end users for RC2. I'd really appreciate some
>    more reports about installation attempts and the problems encountered.

Well, I'll provide more with the next RC.  The hudson directpry was
pretty much a show-stopper.  I'd expect the same problem to be there on
the other platforms.

-- hendrik

>  o There's still the open discussion about the location and search
>    strategy for config files where no conclusion or agreement has
>    been reached as far as I know.

As long as
 (1) it is found in a platform-standard place, and
 (2) there's an easy way for a user to override this via command-line
parameter or environment variable,
the further details probably don't matter that much.

> There are also still the Elego ComPact and DCVS M3 packages which
> I started to review for publishing long ago, but have never had
> the time and energy to finish. I won't promise anything though.

What are these DCVS packages?

> Thanks for your support and patience,

You're welcome.

-- hendrik