[M3devel] A question about the M3 licensing...

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Aug 21 12:31:39 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 09:32:31AM +0000, Jay K wrote:
>>
>> It's surprising how similar Ada looks to Modula-3..
>
> I think they both dated from the same era, and both are ultimately based
> on Pascal syntax.
>
>> I've looked into llvm but haven't really got my head around it and/or
>> the cm3 intermediate representation.
>
> Do you mean the internal parse tree?
>
>> If I could get my head around the
>> latter I'd really like to try to translate that into C, for better and
>> worse.
>
> Didn't there use to be a translator from Modula 3 to C before people
> gave up on C as not being a good object code language?  Wouldn't it
> still be lurking in anckent CVS branches somewhere?

AFAIK only the first release of M3 used C as intermediate code.
Later SRC releases used gcc as backend. I don't know if any of
the old archives are still accessible somewhere.

SRC never used/provided a public version control system (though they
internally had bindings for Vesta AFAIK).
(For Vesta, see http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/SRC-RR-168.pdf.)

So there will be no public record of the old compiler sources in any
repository.

Olaf