[M3devel] A more precise question about M3 licensing...

Louis Chrétien lchretien at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 23:40:27 CEST 2009

(Real sorry about this, I don't know why it keeps being truncated...)

>From what I gathered so far on this thread, the SRC licence was quite a bit
more liberal than the FSF license, which led to this "separate process"
business for the code generation phase, which displeased the FSF somewhat.
;-)

After having read the licence for the LLVM project (a one pager on their
website), i find it quite liberal and you can basically do anything with the
code, as long as you give proper credit and keep the license with the files.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems that the SRC and LLVM licenses could play along
fine, as opposed to the FSF trying to "infect" everything it touches...

So, here's the idea I had:

Combine the existing CM3 (and/or PM3) front-end, and modify it to emit LLVM
bytecodes, so that we could use the LLVM back-end and infrastructure to
create a complete compiler/linker.

Would such a beast, by combining code from both licenses, be viable? I would
like to keep the licensing as liberal as possible.

I sure would like your ideas on this subject,

P.S.: Olaf, I think your suggestion of documenting the existing intermidiate
representation of the CM3 compiler would be an absolute first step...
--
Louis Chrétien
lchretien at mac.com