[M3devel] A more precise question about M3 licensing...

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Aug 22 13:38:26 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 02:35:03PM -0400, Louis Chrétien wrote:
> >From what I gathered so far on this thread, the SRC licence was quite a bit
> more liberal than the FSF license, which led to this "separate process"
> business for the code generation phase, which displeased the FSF somewhat..

The SRC licence specified that if any of this code, whether the original
SRC code or other peoples' modifications or additions, ever got back to
SRC, they could do anything they wanted with it.

This means that if you add code to the M3 system, you have to allow SRC
to do anything they want to it.

This clause is incompatible with the GPL, which restricts the freedom
to distribute binary code without source.  Existing GPL'd code can
therefore not be incorporated into the Modula 3 system because SRC would
not have the freedom to do anything they want with it.

-- hendrik