[M3devel] Final release sprint? was: Re: Interix

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Dec 1 13:44:15 CET 2009

Quoting Randy Coleburn <rcoleburn at scires.com>:

> Just out of curiosity, is anyone in the M3 community using or
> planning to use Interix ?
>
> I only plan to use native Windows, not Interix and not Cygwin.
>
> If no one wants Interix, perhaps current Interix efforts should be
> put on hold until the release is completed?

I really don't want to patronize anyone regarding his or her
work on CM3, but it seems to be extremely difficult to concentrate
the efforts on bringing the release engineering for 5.8 to an end.

I currently cannot spend much time at all, and there are still several
open tickets. I also haven't seen much (not to say none) feedback on the
RC4 archives which are (mostly, some target platforms are still missing)
available for several weeks. But in the meantime continuous integration
has broken down several times on the release branch, so there must have
been significant changes again.

Very likely this release has already taken much too long, so that nobody
is really interested anymore. It would be a pity if we don't get anything
out the door though, as it will without doubt be much better than what
was available before.

As I said before, I'm unlikely to do any serious investigation or fixing
during the next weeks. I can just have a look at the CI and ticket status
now and then. If anybody wants to take over release engineering here,
that would be OK for me, too; but I think that's rather unlikely, as I
only volunteered because there was noone else ;-)

So to summarize, I wouldn't say that nobody wants Interix or that it isn't
worth the efforts, but I'd really appreciate if we could concentrate our
efforts to finish the release.

Olaf