[M3devel] further reducing cloned headers wrt pthread?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 2 00:10:17 CET 2009

I meant translate Modula-3 to C -- C because it knows size and alignment.
I didn't presume I could just call malloc.
Even if untraced, I thought calling "the allocator" might
have some positive interaction with the garbage collector.
Maybe not?
(I should look at the code....could be untraced really
does just call malloc and no gc interaction. Oops.)

> array := NEW(UNTRACED REF ARRAY OF CHAR, sizeof_pthread_mutex_t)

That is good. I must have had some hangup about it.
NEW is guaranteed to be "very aligned" so there is no alignment issue here?

> Sure, except that now you smear code across the C and Modula-3
> universes. Lack of clarity...

I agree. I'm conflicted here.
Look at for example at the dealings with "ackSem".
It is a "simple transform" but "transform" is the suspicious
word there, not wholly exonerated by "simple".

The static variables may also have an issue on Darwin -- can't have
non-static variables in a shared object or somesuch. So I'll hold off.
(no access to Darwin past few days)
Solution could be wrapping the variables up in functions, or every
operation on them, like for ackSem. Both kind of not ideal though.

On the other hand, the RTThread / RTThreadStk / ThreadPosix
split is also a bit smearing/unclear -- you know, FreeStack vs. DisposeStack.
But two wrongs don't make a right, I understand.

I do consider the user thread code to be a second class citizen.

>> Why not embed it "by value"?
>
> Because it is difficult to embed by value when the type is opaque.

Why?
I understand issues of "binary compatibility + dynamic linking".
"Pointers are good because they never change size."
"Pointers are good for opaque types because they never change size.
Better than an int because int often can't store a pointer."

But I think we ignore these issues in Modula-3. I know I have been.

> hack

Seemed a good way to generalize what I'm thinking about for pthread/mutex/etc.