[M3devel] further reducing cloned headers wrt pthread?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 4 10:42:12 CET 2009

It gains something, but maybe it isn't enough
to be worthwhile. The issue is in the subjectivity.

It would remove e.g. the following system-dependent lines:

Linux:
    pthread_t = ADDRESS;
    pthread_cond_t = RECORD data: ARRAY[1..6] OF LONGINT; END;
    pthread_key_t = uint32_t;

Linux/32:
    pthread_attr_t = ARRAY[1..9] OF INTEGER;
    pthread_mutex_t = ARRAY[1..6] OF INTEGER;

Linux/64:
    pthread_attr_t = ARRAY[1..7] OF INTEGER;
    pthread_mutex_t = ARRAY[1..5] OF INTEGER;

FreeBSD:
    pthread_t = ADDRESS;
    pthread_attr_t = ADDRESS;
    pthread_mutex_t = ADDRESS;
    pthread_cond_t = ADDRESS;
    pthread_key_t = int;

HP-UX:
    (* trick from darwin-generic/Upthread.i3 *)
    X32 = ORD(BITSIZE(INTEGER) = 32);
    X64 = ORD(BITSIZE(INTEGER) = 64);
    pthread_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)
    pthread_attr_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)
    pthread_mutex_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..11 * X64 + 22 * X32] OF INTEGER; END;  (* 88 opaque bytes with size_t alignment *)
    pthread_cond_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..7 * X64 + 14 * X32] OF INTEGER; END;  (* 56 opaque bytes with size_t alignment *)
    pthread_key_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)

Cygwin:
    pthread_t = ADDRESS; (* opaque *)
    pthread_attr_t = ADDRESS; (* opaque *)
    pthread_mutex_t = ADDRESS; (* opaque *)
    pthread_cond_t = ADDRESS; (* opaque *)
    pthread_key_t = ADDRESS; (* opaque *)

Solaris:
    pthread_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)
    pthread_attr_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)
    pthread_mutex_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..4] OF LONGINT; END; (* 32 bytes with 64 bit alignment *)
    pthread_cond_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..2] OF LONGINT; END; (* 16 bytes with 64 bit alignment *)
    pthread_key_t = int32_t; (* opaque *)

Darwin: (only ppc32 currently)
    pthread_t = INTEGER; (* opaque *)
    pthread_attr_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..10] OF INTEGER; END;
    pthread_mutex_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..11] OF INTEGER; END;
    pthread_cond_t = RECORD opaque: ARRAY [1..7] OF INTEGER; END;
    pthread_key_t = INTEGER; (* opaque *)

(plus AIX, Irix, VMS, Tru64.)

Another approach would be make them all ADDRESS and introduce a portable
C layer of "varything thickness", using the same logic.
It would look just like the native pthreads, but there'd be extra allocate/cleanup
calls -- to do the heap alloc/cleanup when the underlying types are larger than addresses.
The two layers would be clear and simple, the cost would be the same,
but there would be the conceptual cost of two simple layers instead of one
just one slightly complicated layer.

Another approach is maybe make them all addresses on new platforms and introduce
the C layer only on new platforms. Again, about the only change in the Modula-3
code is extra alloc/cleanup calls.

And again, some/all of the code already has the indirection/heap allocation unconditionally.

And again, maybe not worth it. I show all the system-dependent code, attempting
to portray in its worst light by showing all of it, but maybe it's really not a lot.

For the attr type, we can do something specific to its use.
There is just one use, and we can address it with the following function written in C..
eh..I'll send a diff later tonight/this week I think.

pthread_t and pthread_key_t always happen to be address-sized or smaller.
Maybe just declare them both to be address and assert their size in some C code.
That might waste a few bytes esp. on 64 bit platforms, or it might merely fill in the padding-for-alignment.

For example, we have:

TYPE
  Activation = UNTRACED REF RECORD
    (* global doubly-linked, circular list of all active threads *)
    next, prev: Activation := NIL;  (* LL = activeMu *)
    (* thread handle *)
    handle: pthread_t;    (* LL = activeMu *)
    (* base of thread stack for use by GC *)
    stackbase: ADDRESS := NIL;   (* LL = activeMu *)

so on 64 bit platforms where pthread_t is a 32bit integer, it is taking up 64 bits anyway.
There are two static pthread_key_ts, so making them address would waste 8 bytes on some/many 64bit platforms.

Leaving only cond and mutex.
Some of the platforms declare more types such as rwlock, rwlockattr, but they are never used.
rwlock is a useful type though.