[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Feb 14 23:55:19 CET 2009

Quoting "Rodney M. Bates" <rodney.bates at wichita.edu>:

> Well, I can work on compilers, debuggers, and functional text packages, but
> I can never operate CVS correctly.
>
> As far as I can tell, I think I got these checkins done in the trunk, rather
> than the branch I created for them.  I created a tag on the trunk,
> "devel_m3core_text_2009_02_13", then created a branch with tag
> "devel_m3core_text_newtext_branch".  Apparently I got that much right.
>
> But I am not sure whether the changed files went into the branch.  My
> CVS book reads as if just a cvs tag -b ..., followed by a cvs commit
> will do the commits in the branch, but the commit message doesn't look
> like that happened.
>
> Can anybody help me with:
> 1) What really happened?
> 2) How should I have done this?

You probably forgot to update your workspace to the branch:

   cvs up -r devel_m3core_text_newtext_branch

After that, the branch tag will be `sticky' in your workspace, until
you use cvs up -A, which clears it again (and transports you to the trunk).

> 3) How can I fix the damage?

Well, you can easily revert the changes on the main trunk by checking
out the latest version and using -j old-version -j current version,
and then commit it. This should put the old-version at the head of
the trunk again. Before you do that, you should probably commit everything
to the branch, thus you don't need to checkout your version again.

I think the version before yours was tagged devel_m3core_d2_4_0.

But perhaps it is not necessary to do this? Have tou had feedback
from others about the new sources? If nothing breaks and performance
gets better, I won't complain ;-)

Thanks for all the work,

Olaf

> PS: I believe that if you use the new files  with no additional action,
> that you
> will get the same behavior as before, except that there will be considerable
> constant-time slowdown due to lots of instrumentation and dynamic deciding to
> use the original algorithms.  But I have not tested this.

So probably some improvements are needed before a release.