[M3devel] Multiple CM3_ROOTs

Peter Eiserloh eiserlohpp at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 04:09:35 CET 2009

Hi Tony and Gang,

The hypothetical scenario is a system providing multiple
user accounts.  The sysadmin will install a released
version of CM3, not a daily snapshot.  Any user should be
able to install a daily snapshot, and old one, or a custom
version, for their particular use.  This would go within
a directory of their choosing (within their personal HOME).

These users, may have many customized versions of libm3
(and m3core), and hence many installations of an M3
compiler.

A git repository has already been imported from the main
CVS  repository at elego.  Any user (at the moment thats
just me) may create any number of branches and play with
the code.

How can I ship to a different CM3_ROOT, than the one that
built it?

When using a different CM3_ROOT than the standard one, the
user would obviously have to set their PATH and CM3
environment variables appropriately.  How does the cm3
compiler frontend know the path to its config file?
Does it walk argv[0] up the directory chain, and use the
PATH to find itself, or is the path build-in?  Does it use
the environment variable CM3 if found?

| Peter P. Eiserloh                                      |