[M3devel] TEXT & etc.

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 5 11:49:15 CET 2009

Martin Bishop writes:

>This is somewhat off-topic, but is there a reason why you use CM3 as
>opposed to PM3?  I was under the impression that PM3 was "dead" and most
>of it merged with CM3.

I take it you got it backwards?  You're asking why I use PM3?

I use the following versions of Modula-3:

-- on FreeBSD4 : PM3  (I also have CM3 for testing)
-- PPC_DARWIN  : CM3  (PM3 doesn't work)
-- LINUXLIBC6  : CM3  (ditto)
-- Windows (2000, XP, 2003 Server) : PM3 (Klagenfurt, very old)

My main development and production platform is FreeBSD4, so I mainly
use PM3.  I used to use Windows 2003 for production as well, but
hopefully that is now ended, and I can stick with FreeBSD (I'll run
it in VMware on the win2003 system rather than deal with Windows).
I have been trying to switch to CM3 for years, but for various
reasons I have never managed to pull it off.  At one time, CM3
didn't work on Cygwin (I don't care about that anymore, I hope, see
above), and because I extensively use Pickles and Network Objects,
I really do have to switch the production systems simultaneously
from PM3 to CM3.  Otherwise, there are the performance issues I
raised in my previous email.  Much of the code I have does run
faster (sometimes a lot faster) under PM3; see some of my previous
emails to m3devel on this issue.

Most of the reasons I find switching from PM3 to CM3 difficult have,
it turns out, something to do with the change in implementation of
TEXT.  That's why I had a modification to the text package attached
to the email you responded to.

     Mika

P.S. Let me add my voice to those calling for easy-to-install
Modula-3 systems.  I think it is just far too difficult to install
the system, on many architecture/OS combinations.  I think I am now
unable to get one that works right on PPC_DARWIN...  the bootstrap
on the site is too old to compile the latest sources and it still has
GC bugs in it... I know this is easy for people like Tony who do it
all the time, but I come to it about once every six months and every
time I think "oh no, not this again"...