[M3devel] dynamic chose between user/kernel threads?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 8 04:10:49 CET 2009

Olaf understood the point (I think). :)

Some programs, people say, and I believe, run "better" (faster, without running out of address space) with user threads instead of kernel threads.
On systems that have both.
A good example might be a program that needs lots of threads and therefore small stacks, and the kernel threads, due to code below the Modula-3 runtime, might force fairly large stacks. (Such a program might have to adjust thread size differently for different threads, and only call into the underlying system on threads with larger stacks.)

It might be nice for such programs to be able to mandate or request (two slightly different things) that the user thread library be used by them, even if the platform's default is to use kernel threads.

The only minor detail then is, how to express the request, and the precise meaning.
It is a request or a mandate?

As well, if the issue is address space, sholud there a "built in" way to only make the request on 32bit platforms, or should uses manually say if equal (WORD_SIZE, "32BITS")?

Is it a boolean or an enum?
Cygwin might conceivably get pthreads support (Cygwin has it, but Modula-3/Cygwin does not).
Therefore, is the choice among "posix" threads, "pthreads" and "NT" threads?
Or just user vs. kernel?

I think the "important" part here is easy to implement.
But again..

The easier straightforward implementation always links both pieces of code in and makes a choice early in startup as to which to use, either setting a boolean, or an enum, or a pointer to a record of function pointers. This means that people that don't care to ever use user threads pay a small price, in code bloat and probably in a few extra instructions per certain functions. This is probably ok.
However if that was not ok, the choice could be made at link time and only be supported for standalone programs.

 - Jay

CC: wagner at elegosoft.com; m3devel at elegosoft.comFrom: hosking at cs.purdue.eduTo: jay.krell at cornell.eduSubject: Re: [M3devel] dynamic chose between user/kernel threads?Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:51:15 +1100
Jay, perhaps you can provide some context and motivation for your proposals.  I am unable to evaluate your proposals in the form of a simple laundry-list.