[M3devel] declaring a type's existance but not enough to instantiate it?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 12 09:18:29 CET 2009

I don't think a development system without C headers is interesting.. Is it really?

The transform I apply at times is wherever there is interaction with C code that is described by system-dependent headers, or perhaps even fairly system-independent headers outside the Modula-3 tree, either write wrapper functions for the functionality in the headers (e.g. stat, waitpid), which can be done in a system-independent way, or move the Modula-3<->C transition higher, which is also usually system-independent, e.g. ThreadPThreadC_SetupHandlers.

It is either that or clone the headers, which seems like the worse evil.

There is always going to be a Modula-3<->C transition, it is just a matter of where it occurs.

 - Jay

CC: m3devel at elegosoft.comFrom: hosking at cs.purdue.eduTo: jay.krell at cornell.eduSubject: Re: [M3devel] declaring a type's existance but not enough to instantiate it?Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:32:15 +1100

Jay, I really think you are bending over backwards too far just to be able to shoe-horn things into C.  I *like* having the transpar of C header files expressed in Modula-3, *particularly* for system calls, where you might even be trying to build on a system that does not have the C header files installed, even though the libraries exist and can be linked to.  Fundamentally, I think anytime the Modula-3 code is made less transparent you should think hard about what you are doing.  The same with the change of constants to variables.

I am getting very nervous that the changes you are making are destroying the clarity of the Modula-3 run-time code.

In this particular case, you are wanting to use a Modula-3 parameter passing mechanism on something that is not declared in Modula-3.  Seems kind of dubious to me.  Also, I really don't like the idea of accessing external variables in C.

-- Tony