[M3devel] move to version 5.7.1?

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Tue Jan 20 00:50:40 CET 2009

Jay et al:

I have not updated any of my cm3 code base since I released my last application to my customer in late 3Q2008.

Based on all the activity, I don't think I want to do an update until we've decided to make a new release.  This decision should be based primarily on stability of the code base across platforms.

I can backup my cm3 tree, update to latest code, and run tests on Windows XP using my current apps if that would be helpful.  Let me know.  Also, I may be able to do some tests on HP-UX if that platform is supported.  In addition, I also now have access to a Solaris box.

One of the things I want to do for the next release is to provide detailed documentation on how to install cm3 on Windows using just the tools that comes with Windows or that are available free from Microsoft.  I've already got a good start on this, but will want to get input on the exact order of package builds and which have to be repeated when.

My idea is that we should have a minimal install archive for Windows (NT386) available from which the "customer" (end-user) can build all of the supported packages in the correct order, including rebuilding the base/core cm3 to prove his system is fully functional.  On Windows, the build would be handled via .CMD files and not require python or anything else not supplied with Windows or free from Microsoft.

I also want "us" to give explicit, documented, definitions of the terms "build", "ship", "clean", "spotless", etc. etc. that are used in various scripts et al and make these consistent.  We also need to have good documentation on all the pragmas, environment variables, options, and command line switches that CM3 and CM3IDE recognize.  I believe a number of these currently exist that are not well-known or properly documented.

IMO, this next release needs to be as professional as possible and provide end users (customers) with the best possible experience in terms of ease of installation and use.

I'll help as much as I can.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn

>>> Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu> 1/19/2009 5:39 PM >>>

Should we move to move version 5.7.1?

To mark the new year, and NT386GNU defaulting to pthreads (I'm thinking I should go back and make it a command line option, it's very very easy).

Just edit two lines in sysinfo.sh and everything keeps working, right?