[M3devel] chosing SIG_SUSPEND?

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 23 14:27:39 CET 2009

On 23 Jan 2009, at 02:09, Jay wrote:

> I noticed in some of the code..I think for SegV, Quit,
> etc., not for thread suspension, that if the signal
> is already set to other than SIG_DFL, Modula-3 refrains
> from changing it.
>
> So, I was thinking, would it be reasonable to iterate through, say
> SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2, and SIGRTMIN through SIGRTMAX, and
> use the "first" one that isn't set to SIG_DFL?
> By "first", I don't mean to imply what order to check in,
> probably my statement has the order backwards.
> The point is to check them and not just hijack them.

Maybe.  I would argue the opposite: that M3 apps that use signals
should avoid using the one dedicated to thread suspension.

> OR, is there another way to do this?
>
> Doesn't or can't the Modula-3 code "check a flag"
> "every so often" and then voluntarily yield?
> Of course, the allocator would check the flag.

This is a reasonable approach for Modula-3-compiled code: the polling
points are called GC-safe-points.  You just need to insert poll-points
on backward branches and calls.  The real problem is stopping threads
that are off in native code and system calls.   We could wrap every
native call with a code to save GC-relevant state before going native,
and then check the flag on return from native in case a GC is in
progress.  Many Java implementations use that approach.

> Perhaps I just really need to get "that paper" into my head?
> Understand the issue around "other threads running in
> tight computation loops for a long time", and therefore not checking
> on yielding?
>
> Is the signal mechanism actually preemptive anyway?

Preemptive in what sense?  Depending on the OS, signals tend to get
delivered at system calls or thread context-switches.