[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Mon Jan 26 01:43:27 CET 2009

Jay:

Please explain what you are doing here.  I don't want to break stuff just to make extremely old and no longer supported toolsets work.

My recollection is that the cvtres program is used in getting icon resources et al added to the executable.  I know that the CM3IDE package is dependent on the WindowsResources package as are a lot of my programs.  If you make changes here, we need to make sure it doesn't break existing stuff.

Also, if there is a better way to go about it, I don't mind learning, but we will need to deal with making everything that depends on windowsResources continue to work.

Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay Krell <jkrell at elego.de> 1/25/2009 5:36 PM >>>
CVSROOT:/usr/cvs
Changes by:jkrell at birch.09/01/25 17:36:15

Modified files:
cm3/m3-sys/windowsResources/src/: winRes.tmpl

Log message:
Surely there is no need to run cvtres manually.
Not doing so works with a few toolsets I have tried.
The linker accepts .res files and it is normal to give them to it.
The invocation here is incompatible with very old toolsets (Visual C++ 2.0)
and a minor porting nuisance due to the use of /machine:x86.
The only savings I can imagine is if some resources are used "like a library"
and linked into multiple binaries, that invocations of cvtres can be reduced,
from once per link to just once.