[M3devel] M3Config

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 16 22:36:42 CEST 2009

So..I was wondering..what were the original authors thinking?

And there was that comment about the file containing the data upon install.

Which seemed wrong to me.

They were probably thinking of the way 3.6 was packaged and distributed -- everyone built the system from source, upon building m3build/m3ship from C and m3 from assembly.

That isn't a bad model, but we probably want both.

There are at least three times the paths can be computed/recorded:

  1) when you build libm3

  2) when you install libm3

  #1 and #2 may or may not be close in time and have the same result.

  3) by parsing cm3.cfg as needed

#2 is more efficient than #3 and matches the old code, but #3 is how I left it, probably ok.