[M3devel] PPC_LINUX hangs in m3_strtod? and an assertion failure

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 24 12:44:06 CEST 2009

I'm seeing wierd stuff.

On PPC_LINUX.

Compiling some files hangs.
Such as M3Front.m3.

It is actually looping forever in

Breakpoint 1, m3_strtod (s00=0x7feb9ef0 "4.9406564584124654e-324")

which, you know, other than feeding it bad data, or corrupting
its stack when it calls out to our lock/unlock, we can't mess up.

I can watch what strings it gets on other systems and/or make
a standalone case that hangs.

While investigating this I hit control-c on a cm3 and hit:

new source -> compiling SchedulerPosix.i3   (hung here)

***
*** runtime error:
***     failed.
***    file "..\src\runtime\common\RTCollector.m3", line 1087
***
Aborted

PROCEDURE CleanBetween (h, he: RefHeader; clean: BOOLEAN) =
  BEGIN
    WHILE h < he DO

         line 1087

Maybe we don't deal with control-c at arbitrary points??

I was able to reproduce this assertion failure twice in a row..
though it moved to line 1089 the second time.

PROCEDURE CleanBetween (h, he: RefHeader; clean: BOOLEAN) =
  BEGIN
    WHILE h < he DO

      IF h.gray THEN
             line 1089

I verified that the hang compiling SchedulerPosix.i3 is also related to floating point conversion.
This time in m3_dtoa.

I will look further.
Maybe my config file changes..but seems odd..