[M3devel] which new platforms do people want?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 25 03:40:38 CEST 2009

Other than finishing ARM_DARWIN, what platforms are people interested in?
 And will actually use??

I have /many/ to choice from, via both virtual x86/AMD64 machines and available hardware.
Some of these are started but didn't get as far yet as having archives uploaded.

  I386,AMD64_SOLARIS, NETBSD, OPENBSD (all started and mostly easy, will try to finish these up soon)
  Alpha of anything (VMS, Linux, *BSD, Tru64)
  AMD64_NT if MinGW is in good enough shape
  PPC_NETBSD (should be easy)
  PPC_FREEBSD (slightly hard to setup)
  Irix 32bit and 64bit
  AIX 32bit and 64bit
  HP-UX PA64 and IA64 (PA32 already in good shape)
  IA64 of anything (VMS, HP-UX, Linux, *BSD; Linux being the one I have up/running)
  MIPS of anything (Irix, Linux, *BSD (started))
  ARM_LINUX
  PPC64_DARWIN, LINUX
  MSDOS/DJGPP (appears to have the timer support for user threads)
  PPC_MACOS, M68K_MACOS
  Plan9 (unlikely, uses old gcc fork, best handled with a C backend)
  Beos (unlikely, not very VM-compatible)
  DragonflyBSD  (VM)
  WinCE (unlikely, no hardware)
  ?

A C backend could serve pretty much anything.
We could likely have C_WIN32 and C_POSIX and nearly all porting work declared done, just two distribution archives, if that.
Of course then the "fun" of installing all these systems would be lost. :)

I think I can knock off I386,AMD64_SOLARIS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, then try out more esoteric stuff like Alpha and MIPS and then IA64.

My $50 network router runs Linux 2.4 on 32bit MIPS, I think with uclibc.
 It is low end for sure, but has SMB client builtin, so infinite diskspace.
I have a network attached hard drive running Linux 2.6 on ARM, with uclibc.
uclibc imho threatens our naming conventions, unless we target the Linux kernel instead of libc, which I think is maybe a good idea.
Linux 2.4 also treatens the naming convention perhaps.
 I thought it was long gone but it isn't. Current "distributions" for network routers use it.
Maybe there should be MIPS_LINUX_USERTHREADS?
Maybe *_USERTHREADS in general, where it works and people will use it?