[M3devel] cm3ide problem report, possibly related to MxConfig or to missing cm3.cfg content

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Jul 31 07:05:45 CEST 2009

Jay et al:

On Windows, cm3ide exits with an error message (it does not crash) because BUILD_DIR is not defined in cm3.cfg.

cm3ide depends on knowing the BUILD_DIR, which for Windows is "NT386".

I know Jay has made a lot of changes to cm3.cfg.  Either we need to put back into cm3.cfg the specification of BUILD_DIR, or we will need to re-engineer cm3ide to cope with this situation.

At this stage of the game, if there is an easy way to put BUILD_DIR back into cm3.cfg, I vote for that approach.

In the cm3ide source tree, Default.i3 and Default.m3 are the files that you might want to peruse to see the dependencies cm3ide has on cm3.cfg.

In particular, these are:
BUILD_DIR
PKG_USE
DOC_INSTALL
INSTALL_ROOT
INITIAL_CM3_IDE_BROWSER
INITIAL_CM3_IDE_EDITOR

If the last 2 are missing, cm3ide will prompt the user on the console window for these items.  For Windows users, that may be a bit disconcerting.  Once these are defined, it won't ask again unless cm3ide's config file gets blown away.

I added some code a while back to construct some of the others if they were missing, but if all of them are missing, there is little one can do except guess or try to infer location based on current directory or path to cm3ide executable.

It now seems that all of these are indeed missing, or at least not available via M3Config.Get.  Note that M3Config is really MxConfig since the import statement is "IMPORT MxConfig AS M3Config".  Perhaps some of Jay's recent changes to MxConfig are causing an issue here.  Not sure.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This e-mail may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from making any use of the information in the email and attachments.  If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.  By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.