[M3devel] ROOT

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 2 20:48:00 CEST 2009

I'm completely agree that ROOT is too generic for an environment variable and it NOT required.

It IS a quake variable though, and has long been. Nothing new there. At least if you ever use overrides.

CM3_ROOT is in fact the other name.

There are also quake variables INSTALLROOT and/or INSTALL_ROOT, I get those confused,

and the environment variable CM3_INSTALL.

I'm not a huge fan of the exact names actually, but they all/mostly were already there.

I would have liked CM3_INSTALL_ROOT and CM3_SOURCE_ROOT.

I find ROOT and CM3_ROOT too ambiguous.

But again, ROOT is quite old, to refer to the source and INSTALL_ROOT or INSTALLROOT is quite old

to refer to the install.

Hopefully my other mail will help clear this up.

I agree this is all not easy to communicate.

To some extent I just have to depend on people knowing that

"How a file finds the .so files it uses?"

Is a well known long standing dilemna and if you search the web you can find many people trying to explain aspects of it.

Maybe I should put together some examples.

However, I think I did.

I think the ChangeLog explains it well.
Let me check.

no..must have been somewhere else.

Anyway, search the web for $origin, ldd, -runpath, etc....

Try wading through the Apple, Sun, GNU/Linux ld man pages.

They aren't pretty, I grant.

I'll try to put together some examples maybe soon, maybe.

Solaris has the nicer more verbose ldd and I'll be away over the weekend so no Solaris.

I'd also like to do other Modula-3 work:

   64 bit file sizes on all platforms

    I'm at least going to try. This might cascade too far and break a lot of things, since INTEGER and LONGINT cannot be freely intermixed, you can't even assign an INTEGER to a LONGINT!

  Merge gcc-interix with gcc. It turns out this is quite small.

  Enable the "portable runpaths" in Olaf's scripts (related to all this).

  I put the lines in slightly too far down in the code, oops.

 - Jay