[M3devel] ROOT, $ORIGIN, runpath, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, symlinks, hardlinks, etc.

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 2 22:03:16 CEST 2009

Ok, so I think a very important question is:

  >>> Should users have a choice of where to install?

  >>> What are the reasonable ramifications of someone who makes a non-default choice?

/Personally/ I want the choice, esp. if I don't have root access!, and I don't want to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I want my choice and no negative consequences, and $origin basically gives me that.

Except NetBSD prior to 5.0. 5.0 already released.

And I guess Solaris prior to 2.7 or such.

We do agree on a change vs. previous releases, at least.

And it overlaps with what I did already.

 - Jay

CC: wagner at elegosoft.com; m3devel at elegosoft.com