[M3devel] HEADS UP: release_CM3_5_8_RC2 / code freeze

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jul 15 16:01:23 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> I'd still like to:
>
>   reduce the indirection in the recently introduced symlinks..it is
> a small change (that's what I always say!) (though the movement from
>  pkg to lib I wouldn't call small)
>
>   improve the state of a few targets, esp. ARM_DARWIN, I386_SOLARIS,
>  AMD64_SOLARIS, maybe SPARC64_SOLARIS, SPARC64_OPENBSD,
> AMD64_OPENBSD, AMD64_NETBSD, I386_OPENBSD, maybe others
>
>   These might be be mostly just:
>     - updating RTSignalC.c

Minor corrections and improvements can still be made for the next
release candidate (RC3), or release (if we agree that RC2 is OK ;-)

>     - updating the GNU configuration name for AMD64_SOLARIS in
> m3cc/src/m3makefile
>     - fix my Python scripts to consume the master package list,
> build m3gdb, build cm3ide, build in dependency order (huh, I thought
>  they always did, now not sure), add your feature of passing on
> extra  parameteres to cm3
>     - maybe change the *.sh files to accept parameters in any order
> like the *.py
>     - maybe whittle away more on m3core/src/unix
>
> Also some minor features I'll propose shortly.

Well, we originally wanted to deliver a release (which has been overdue
for many years) in May; now it's mid of July. There's always lots of
stuff we can improve, but why not do it in the next release?

We'll never get anything released if we continue adding new things...

Olaf