[M3devel] Release notes comments

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Jul 17 19:26:30 CEST 2009

Olaf:

I have read thru the "Release Notes CM3 5.8.2" page and the "CM3 Release Candidate Index" page.  Great job putting this together!

Here are some comments for your consideration:

1.  The section on "Package", particularly the first paragraph, I think is a bit confusing.  The CM3IDE documentation includes a lot of information on packages, so perhaps the missing link in this section should reference that documentation.  To me, a package is a set of sources that together represent one compilation unit for the purpose of building a library, program, or other assemblage of information (e.g., documentation).  Each package resides in a directory (folder), with sources and generated files in subdirectories (sub folders) of the package's folder.  In the top-level CM3 source tree, packages are grouped into categories, with each category represented by a subfolder rooted in that top-level, and the packages comprising each category rooted in the category's folder.

2.  I presume that we do intend to make NT386 available for this release, even though it says "Not Available Yet".

3.  I find the "-bin-min-" and "-bin-core-" terminology a bit confusing.  To me, the "core" of something is the "heart" or "minimal" part of it.  Would it make more sense to rename "-bin-core-" to "-bin-std-"?  Indeed the explanation given for "core" says in one place that it represents a "standard" installation.  In another place it is called "package pool".  Also, "min" in one place is called the "central installation hierarchy".  Suggest we be consistent.  To me it makes more sense to have "min" represent the "minimal installation" and "std" the "standard installation" and "all" represents "everything."

4.  I don't understand the "-bin-ws-" concept of "precompiled user workspace" and how it would be useful.  Please elaborate.

5.  All of the instructions seem to apply for UNIX-like environments.  We need to augment these to include how to do it on non-Unix environments, such as Windows.  For the scripts, like "install.sh", do we intend to provide Windows command/batch files, e.g. "install.cmd" or "install.bat"?

6.  When we finally settle on a release name, need to update the names in these instructions, e.g., replace "d5.8.1-RC1" under "Installation Procedure", and "RC1" in other places.

7.  "Installation Procedure" step #5, change "shop" to "ship".

8.  "In case of problems" step #4, last line, change "volunteers" to "volunteer" and change "his" to "his/her".

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for all your work on this!!!

Regards,
Randy Coleburn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This e-mail may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from making any use of the information in the email and attachments.  If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.  By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.