[M3devel] Upgrade dependencies, was: Re: do-cm3.cmd for Windows

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Jul 21 10:45:25 CEST 2009

Quoting jay.krell at cornell.edu:

> Upgrade skips m3core and libm3, builds up to cm3, copies cm3, then
> clean and build in order from the bottom. You could say it starts after
> libm3 or at sysutils, but there is also import-libs. In future if
> released cm3 can build current m3core and libm3 then just build from
> the bottom and on up, nothing tricky. Thinking about this now I think
> we should have just done the trick once and then declared the resulting
> cm3 as the baseline, instead of this 'institutionalization' of the
> 'workaround' that seems to confuse everyone, and leaves compat hacks in
> to deal with older releases. I think we should abandon 5.4 as a base
> before this release so this can be cleaned up.

Jay, there is a subtle dependency between the platforms that are
contained in cm3 and m3core. You cannot compile a newer m3core with
a compiler that doesn't support new platforms. At least I am not aware
that this dependency has been removed, or has it?

Please explain again in case I missed something.

Olaf