[M3devel] config file issue

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Jul 21 17:26:14 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Olaf..sorry, this movement to the config directory seemed very easy
> at the time..and it is still not quite working.
>

> http://tinderbox.elegosoft.com/tinderbox/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=cm3&brief-log=1248139749.31541
>

> "/home/m3/work/cm3-inst/birch.elegosoft.com/current/bin/cm3cfg.common", line
>  170: quake runtime error: undefined variable: ROOT
>

> That's probably an old version, where the use isn't guarded with if defined.
>
> upgrade.sh:
>
> if [ ! -d  "${INSTALLROOT}/bin/config" ]; then
>   echo "create new config sub directory ${INSTALLROOT}/bin/config"
>   cp_config_files
> fi
>

> Why the guard with ! -d?
> How about just always do it?
>
> There are other paths...I don't understand..how about just always do it?

The original idea was to update config files only if the upgrade
failed otherwise. That was to preserve any adaptions the end user
might have made.

To do it right in a real upgrade would require an interactive merge.
I've got no problem with forcing the upgrade every time but keeping
a backup. Of course, the user will immediately overwrite that with
just repeating the command, if we don't version the backup...

Please also consider that most users will have the single cm3.cfg
which contains everything, while yours just delegates...

So I'd vote for providing a backup with a timestamp and then forcing
everything to use the new files.

Olaf