[M3devel] Hudson question

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Jul 24 18:17:29 CEST 2009

Quoting Randy Coleburn <rcoleburn at scires.com>:

> Olaf:
>
> If we switch to Hudson, does that offer any improvement in the Windows arena?
>
> We haven't been able to get Tinderbox to work for Windows.
>
> I don't mind hosting something for Windows to do the tests if that will help.

Well, yes and no ;-)

Hudson itself should be as easy to install on Windows as on Unix,
as it's completely written in Java. You just download the hudson.war
file and start it with java -jar hudson.war. Java should be at least
a recent 1.6 distribution. You can just try that and play around with
the server if you like.

The regression test scripts are all written in Bourne shell syntax,
so you'd need Cygwin to run those again. There are probably a few
quirks left to make them really work on Windows. Perhaps the Interix
POSIX environment Jay has told about may be better suited, but I don't
know.

In the Hudson setup on birch and luthien I've used parts of the
regression scripts for Tinderbox. If we want the test scripts to be
the same on all systems, it may still be difficult.

On the other hand, we could start with a much simpler setup on Windows.
Begin with just one test job that checks out and compiles everything.
That should be easy to achieve. I don't know if you can use the cmd
scripts in Hudson on Windows, but I assume you can. If that works,
we could start with transferring your build results to the Hudson
server on birch. Or you could allow birch to control your Hudson
installation as a slave server.

Does that sound feasible?

Regards,

Olaf