[M3devel] tinderbox status improvements/diagnosis

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 27 15:53:09 CEST 2009

I am using ssh, and just -z1.
5 minutes I don't think so. It takes quite a while..maybe a minute, on a cvs -z3 upd from the root before it transfers any files. But subsequent nearby-in-time runs are faster. Some caching affects but they are surprising -- which cache? How much data is being accessed? I don't know, haven't traced it or anything.

Yeah some source control is heavyweight but I think many are not.
Git seems to be rapidly gaining in popularity and with that you probably hit "the server" much less.
I worry "distributed source control" like Git would make sharing changes too infrequent, maybe worse than the other side too requent.

I thought cvsup might be a good solution but haven't tried it yet.
  Only time/interest for so many new things at a time.

I'll check with a friend about hosting my weirdo machines.
I see the Mac has good command line control of "scheduled wake".
If all my hardware had "scheduled wake" would be easy.
I only first saw this feature recently on an SGI.
I don't know how common it is.

Ultimately an Intel Mac with scheduled sleep/wake, and starting up N virtual machines upon startup, either on a schedule or that each wait an hour, two hours, three hours, etc. before doing anything, should be able to substitute for I figure roughly 15 machines -- (Linux + OpenBSD + FreeBSD + NetBSD + Solaris + NT + Darwin) * (I386 + AMD4) + PPC_DARWIN. I had an Intel Mac but returned it and will get a "bigger" (more diskspace) soon.
Heck, just run them all serially in a loop, just one heat spewing machine, should be a good setup.
And then gradually try to add even more esoteric systems (Spin?).

It kind of feels like cheating but also seems like a good idea.
VMware has even automated the installs of some operating systems, very nice.
Still that leaves PPC, SPARC, MIPS, IA64, Alpha to run on real hardware (though several of those boast virtualization features, I expect it is much harder to get up and running than the x86 virtualization products..)