[M3devel] cl on windows

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 31 08:45:51 CEST 2009

> Again, I suspect your problem may be in using cygwin. I infer that you are using cygwin based on the path name below "C:\cygwin\usr\local...".

Again, really, no.

All both Cygwin and the vcvars32.bat are adding elements to %PATH%, and %LIB%, and %INCLUDE%, and adding files within the directories within %PATH%.

The only way in which they collide is when they have file names in common, such as link.exe, or, indeed, python.exe. (or multiple copies of cygwin1.dll, because it uses a shared section, which is a security bug, which they seem to ignore that and just claim that Windows is insecure so they have no problem making things worse...multiple users who don't trust themselves have read/write access to some of each other's memory in this setup..)

> if Jay succeeds in getting the python scripts to be truly "portable"
> between the various platforms

Again, I already have. I wrote them on a Mac to start, and since them have run on then OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux (Gentoo, Debian, maybe Red Hat), Solaris, NT, HP-UX, Cygwin, Interix, Darwin (not the full Mac OSX, which is where they ran first), and maybe more that is all I can remember.

What are the errors you get? I have asked a few times.