[M3devel] CM3 resource access at Elego, was: Re: Web page experimental colors

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:36:26 CEST 2009

We should be a little careful with ARM_LINUX imho. And MIPS_LINUX.

Those target name might be ok, and they'd refer to Linux 2.6+ with glibc.
Many ARM and MIPS Linux systems aren't that.

ARM has old ABI and new ABI, at the kernel level.
It it also common to replace glibc with uclibc.
I don't know if they are binary compatible or not.
My Linux/arm machine/device is old ABI and uclibc.
It seems that if you are building your own kernel,
it is trivial to use old ABI. It isn't like it is incompatible
with new hardware, I think. I think whoever put together
the Western Digital MyBook World Edition just took the default.

MIPS..well, I was surprised. I installed "Tomato" on my router.
It is /very/ low end, but it does have a builtin SMB client, therefore
it has infinite diskspace.
It uses Linux 2.4, and I think/assume uclibc.

MIPS also has big and little endian and I don't know if either is
more common or if it is an even split.