[M3devel] package groups question

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Jul 31 16:05:46 CEST 2009

Quoting Tony Hosking <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>:

> I don't care if future versions are not compilable with old cm3.  But,
> vice versa, old versions should always be compilable with new cm3.
>
> My gut feelings run along the lines of what Randy has said.  I do
> think that the average user should accept std as the install, while
> min is for power-users who know what they are doing. Does that jive
> with other people's expectations?

Sorry, I only now caught up with _some_ of the mails on the m3devel
list. Too much traffic for me to digest.

I gather there's been a long discussion that `min' is not really
useful as it is not enough to build the system. When we started
the cm3 5 business many years ago with lots of uncompilable sources
from Farshad Nayeri, we invented the following sets of packages:

  all  - obvious meaning. most packages did not compile at all.
  std  - the set of packages shipped as compilable and usable with
         every new release
  core - a useful but small set of packages including everything to
         bootstrap the compiler
  boot - the minimal set to bootstrap the compiler
  min  - the minimal set useful for anyone (not wanting to compiler cm3)

As of today, std = all, and boot isn't used any more as far as a I see.

I'm fine with any changes in the pragmatics or intended use of these
package sets though. Just wanted to throw in some history.

Olaf