[M3devel] package groups question

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Jul 31 17:19:15 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 09:42:19AM -0400, Tony Hosking wrote:
> I don't care if future versions are not compilable with old cm3.  But,
> vice versa, old versions should always be compilable with new cm3.
>
> My gut feelings run along the lines of what Randy has said.  I do
> think that the average user should accept std as the install, while
> min is for power-users who know what they are doing. Does that jive
> with other people's expectations?

Debian treats packages that share code as an anathema.  So if there's a
min package, they'd insist that std has the min parts removed from it,
and depend on the min package instead of including it.

Of course, the package description of the min package could gently
advise potential users that they probably want to use the 'std' package
instead...

-- hendrik