[M3devel] platform names

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 18 14:12:30 CEST 2009

The new documentation says:

Except for some legacy names, all target names have the format PROCESSOR OR ARCHITECTURE_OPERATING SYSTEM.

I'm not suggesting a change to the documentation or any existing "new" platform names but I'm pretty certain this system is going to break down on some platforms.

In particular, I have an "ARM_LINUX" system, with uclibc, instead of the "usual" desktop/laptop/server glibc.

And I have an "MIPLE_LINUX" system, also with uclibc, and worse, Linux 2.4.
  It is a router and apparently 2.4 is considered reasonable and "current".
  Linux 2.4 doesn't have the "good" native pthreads, though it does have
  the old bad "LinuxThreads".

It's possible, esp. for Linux, we can/should target the kernel syscall interface
and not the C runtime. In which case, this problem is reduced.
That's very similar to static linking to libc.a.
It's probably /mostly/ easy, easy for open/close/stat/seek/read/write/_exit/fork/exec
 which are probably all pretty thin in the C runtime.
But less easy for startup and threads.

It /might/ be that uclibc and glibc are binary compatible, at least partly.
I don't know.