[M3devel] posixish environment on Windows

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 24 03:09:45 CEST 2009

People who want to use cygwin might look into Interix/SFU/SUA instead.
It is a free "beer" download for Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and
is included as an optional part of 2003R2, Vista, 2008, Win7.

It uses the forward slashes people like.
It includes gcc. 3.3 and sort of 4.2.
  (some versions have both, but I think 3.3 is always the default)
You can also use Visual C++ with it but I haven't tried that.
It includes ksh. bash and many other GNU tools are available.
It includes gdb. There is a Visual Studio debugger addin, I also haven't tried that.

Most importantly I think, it has an appropriately fast fork, which makes development much faster.
Version 3.5 and newer support pthreads.

It has .so files, including -rpath.
  Though maybe not -soname.
It doesn't appear to support dlopen/dlsym. I have to check.
 These last two points are surprising.
 It appears to not use regular Windows static imports, link -dump -imports doesn't show much.

It has an X Window client.
For Modula-3 purposes, I get a few unresolved symbols building the GUI stuff, XShm*,
so that isn't available (yet?).

It has mixed support from various projects.

Modula-3 seems to work ok on it, enough to build itself.
 Hm, the tests have problems, I'll look into that.

There are archives on www.opencm3.net/releng.
More are being uploaded.