[M3devel] CM3 Release Engineering

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jun 25 19:26:45 CEST 2009

Hi all,

in order to start with some serious testing and release engineering,
I'd still like to have some more feedback from others, especially
on the following topics:

  o Is the suggested archive set accepted? Should we break up or
    combine certain archives? Or even provide something much simpler?

  o Has anybody tested installation of any of these packages?
    Was it successful?

  o Has anybody tested Rodney's alternative TEXT implementation?
    Should we make it the default in this release?

  o Are there still any known show-stoppers? Crashes, broken
    functionality etc.?

  o Should we really provide multiple formats (tar/gzip and lzma)?

If we don't need/want to change much, the next steps would be:

  1. Some documentation fixes/extensions.

  2. Application of an RC1 tag and code freeze (or releng branching;
     but as said earlier, I'd rather avoid that)

  3. Announcement of new release candidates in WWW, news and mailing
     lists.

  4. More extensive installation testing.

  5. Fixing of all reported bugs (if there are any ;-)

Comments welcome,

Olaf