[M3devel] .deb files

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 29 05:16:37 CEST 2009

   http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives

contains some .deb files now, but so far only for SPARC32_LINUX.

I assume nobody uses that?

x86/AMD64 should be available later, not soon.

Highlights/lowlights:
  There is just min and std, no package sets yet.
  They install to /usr/local/cm3. You have no choice.
   Official .deb files are not supposed to use /usr/local, but
    I don't count these as official.
  They don't modify $PATH for you.
  (They don't run cminstall either.)
  They overlap, install just one.
  Maybe missing cm3ide and m3gdb, will be fixed.
  They are made "as a matter of course" by scripts/python/make-dist.py, for
   any Linux platform.
  There is no apt-get install foo, I have to look up how to do that,
   there is download (wget) the file and dpkg -i ./foo.deb.
   And like apt-get remove cm3-min or apt-get remove cm3-std.

.deb files are actually a trivial format.
They are an ar file with three files:
   debian-binary little marker
   control.tar.gz .deb specific stuff, contains text files
   data.tar.gz or .bz2 or .lzma the payload in the usual form

That is, we could arguably not produce the loose .tgz files.