[M3devel] recent m3gdb does not want to compile

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jun 13 04:14:11 CEST 2009

Ok, the difference is configure vs. configure --target i686-pc-linux-gnu.

cm3 only passes --target for cross builds...er, maybe not.
That's how it is for m3cc.
But
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-sys/m3gdb/src/m3makefile?rev=1.13;content-type=text%2Fplain

appears to always pass --target.
(Have I mentioned I don't pay much attention to m3gdb...?)

For now, in m3-sys/m3gdb/src/m3makefile, change this:

  m3gdb_Run([M3GDB_CONFIG, "../gdb/configure", CONFIG_PLATFORM])

to just this:

  m3gdb_Run([M3GDB_CONFIG, "../gdb/configure"])

removing the CONFIG_PLATFORM part

and see what happens. I expect it will work.
That isn't necessarily the right change -- don't commit it.

Probably what is right enough is to make it act like m3ccc -- don't give a platform for native builds, only for cross builds. But m3cc/m3gdb/binutils are all fairly unusual, and not necessarily in the same way.

Even so..are you after an x86 m3gdb or AMD64?

Also, what do
  m3-sys/m3gdb/gdb/config.guess
 and
  m3-sys/m3cc/gcc/config.guess
 and
  the current gdb you downloaded/config.guess

show?