[M3devel] files larger than 2gig

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 24 06:34:18 CEST 2009

Jay writes:

>I know the x87 uses 80 bit floating point numbers in hardware,
>but there is also SSE/SSE2/SSE3/whatever now, that might be
>different, and faster.
>You know, they have actual "registers" instead of a register stack.
>If you have some floating point intensive code, you might try it.

I've used SSEn using ifort (Intel Fortran), linking it with Modula-3,
quite a bit.  Works great.  But it has two problems: it is mostly
(entirely?) single-precision, and it's not portable, as in, you can
compile a binary on one machine and then not run it on another machine
that has the same OS and "architecture", e.g., "FreeBSD 5.5 / i386".
Really annoying.

>More info on the Mosiac-C?
>I'll search the web.

It's old.  Well that's why there's a working m3 compiler :-)

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.48.6294

     Mika