[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jun 25 18:52:06 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:43:34PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>>
>> >Is it time for me to make another try at installing cm3 from scratch?
>> >In particular, do you think most of the problems I reported with
>> >documentation and archives, etc., have been solved?  I really want to
>> >get m3 working on this laptop, but I also want to provide the most
>> >useful problem reports.
>> >
>> >I'm definitely trying to act like a naive user in these installation
>> >attempts (which means I'm trying to act stupider than I am).
>>
>> I've now put some initial release engineering documentation onto
>> birch, available at
>>
>>   http://www.opencm3.net/releng
>
> Well, I started with that page, assuming that it will be the one Google
> finds when the release is finally out.  I'm continuing to act like a
> naive user (but I'm probably not naive enough to give the instructions a
> real test).
>
> It seems to have installed, but I'm not sure, because the installer
> ended with an error message.  Here are the gory details.
>
> Started from http://www.opencm3.net/releng/
>
> I found the description quite clear.  It's still not clear just what
> packages are in cm3-core and not in cm3-min or why I would want them,
> but it was clear I wanted to start with cm3-core.  For example, is there
> a UI library in cm3-core?
>
> (Oh why is it so hard to cut and paste from the web page to this emacs
> buffer on my laptop?)

> cm3-bin-core-LINUXLIBC6-d5.8.1-RC1.tgz dowwnloaded without a problem.  A
> beginner with Linux might have difficulty knowing whether to use the
> .lzma version.

LINUXLIBC6 along with all lmza archives were created by Jay;
I'd rather have limited the available formats. Of course this needs
to be documented if we provide .lzma files.

> Ah! I clicked on the "standard, recommended" link (I hadn't realised it
> was a link) and found the list of what packages are in the .tgz file.
> One layout comment -- it consists of a series of sections, each starting
> with a title and ending with a browse-sources link.  Each title needs to
> look more prominent than the text or the link.  At the moment, the link
> is what stands out.  More blank lines between the entries then within
> them would make them group better.
>
> Next: do  tar -xzvf cm3-bin-core-TARGET-VERSION.tgz
>
> Again, that worked.  I do find myseelf wondering it that would be the
> correct command line if I were uzinng Winzip on Windows, though.
> (that's wha tthe insstruction seems to say)

No, Winzip of course is a GUI application where you are supposed to
point and click with the mouse...

> Next I run ./cminstall /usr/local/cm3
>
> It asks mme whether /home.hendrik/cm3 is to be the root directory for
> cm3.  The naive user doesn't know what that means.  Nor do I, for that

This is strange. cminstall shouldn't ask any questions by default.
But as mentioned before, I only built the archives for FreeBSD4 and
AMD64_LINUX (and later PPC_DARWIN). Jay, what exactly did you package
there? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

> matter.  I'm guessing that it's where to unpack and work during
> installation, but that it won't be needed later.  That I can even
> deleete the entire /home/hendrik/cm3 directory tree after installation.
> That in fact when I instll packages later I can download them to, say,
> /anywhere and install them from /anywhere and they'll still get
> installed in the proper place.  But I don't know.  For now, I'll just
> accept the defaults.
>
> Next problem:
>
>> Installing CM3 in: /usr/local/cm3
>> This may take a few minutes...
>>
>> Unexpected problem: cannot list current directory: errno=2

I've never seen that. Can you provide the complete installation log?
We may also need a system call trace to track this down...

>> Please feel free to contact m3-support at elego.de to troubleshoot this
> problem.
>
> Current directory?  That's an uninformative message.  Possibly it refers
> to /usr/local/cm3?  Which really doesn't exit yet?  Should your
> instructions say to create it and make sure it has the right write
> permissions?
>
> Noooo.  that's not the reason. /usr/local/cm3 has been created.  And
> populated with lots of subdirectories.  /usr/local/cm3/bin contains a
> few executables and lots of other files.  It turns out I did have
> permission to write on /usr/local.  I don't know what directory it's
> referring to.

Strange. I tried an installation on FreeBSD which succeeded without
any problems.

> What next?

Let's have a look at Install.log and hear what Jay has to say about
LINUXLIBC6.

Thanks for the feedback,

Olaf