[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jun 25 23:27:20 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 08:43:11PM +0000, Jay wrote:

> I just ran ./make-dist.sh.
> I admit I didn't take the time to test out the archives.
> lzma I made just via
>   gunzip foo.tgz
>   lzma foo.tar

No need to apologise.  These archives seem to have worked better than
the last ones I tried.

I'm specifically trying to help you guys make it work by acting like a
naive user and reporting what goes wrong or might confuse a naive user.
The show-stopper for the naive user in this report was the error message
that, as far as I can tell, occurs at the end of installation.

If my goal was just to get cm3 working, I'd have accomplished it
already, as an experienced user.  IN fact, I'm still going to set my
$PATH properly to find out if I already have a working cm3 from this
installation.  The last one I tried a few seeks ago (a version of min)
was usable long before I finished the whole installation process.  After
juat unzipping the archives and cooking up some suitable $PATH entries,
I was compiling.  But from the instructions I was following, it looked
like I had a long way to go yet.

Half the problems I'm coming up with are probably infelicities if
documentation.  Like the 'if' in that sentence that should have been
'of'.

> For Interix I cut down the list of collections.
>

> It is common for multiple compression formats to be used.
> lzma often shrinks the files by half, though, oddly, sometimes not at all.
> lzma admittedly has been superceded xz.
>

> I know it is difficult and I'm not helpful here, but we should keep in mind the ideals:
>
>   apt-get install foo

We still have to get to this point.  Only I fink it's cm3 we want, not
foo.

>   download foo.exe and run it, hit next next next finish
>
>   download foo.tar.gz, tar xf foo.tar.gz, cd foo, read INSTALL, ./configure, ./make, su, ./make install
>

> to measure ourselves by.
>

> There's no need for Winzip if we use .zip files, explorer handles them.

That's useful.  Unless you're paranoid enough to never let your WIndows
machine come near a network.  It's an effective way to avoid viruses.