[M3devel] files larger than 2gig

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 09:04:23 CEST 2009

> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:10:05 -0400
> From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
> To: m3devel at elegosoft.com
> Subject: Re: [M3devel] files larger than 2gig
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:58:45PM -0400, Tony Hosking wrote:
>>
>> Yuck. Why not decompose in the backend?
>
> However we do it, large files should "just work" on systems that can
> handle them.
>
> -- hendrik

It should be LONGINT.
I'll try to get to it.
It might be a slightly breaking change, depending on where the INTEGER size is exposed.

That shouldn't be difficult and will address all but one platform.
I'll try to get back to revisiting LONGINT support on NT386.
Then it might be interesting, though not easy, to port that backend
to more platforms. :)
One reason to do all those wierdo ports is to set a bar for
what an integrated backend should strive for. :)
Or then again again again, a C generator. That way, there'd be a chance
of "no more porting work". If the IL was slightly abstracted, we could
just generate portable C and release just one
portable source-ish package for all platforms.
There could still be binary packages for people that don't build from source,
but all platforms would just be a C compiler away.